IGNORED

Need help confirming driveshaft fit (280z auto to zx 5 speed using original auto driveshaft)

Hey all!

I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel for my auto to 5 speed swap and just wanted some confirmation on driveshaft fit.  After reading dozens of posts I assumed I'd need to either build or modify a driveshaft when going from 280z auto to zx 5 speed. I went to measure and test fit to see which of the 2 driveshafts (my original auto and the 5 speed zx 2+2 from the parts car) would be the best to modify and when I placed the auto driveline in it *appears* to fit!

I took two pictures. In the first I have the driveshaft fitted. I marked the end of the slip joint collar on the tranny tail shaft and then removed the driveshaft in the second pic-- you can see where the mark is. Is this a good fit??? Did I just get lucky here?? Also, yes, my exhaust mounting tab is broken 

Here are my measurements:

25 7/8" from end of transmission output shaft to diff mounting flange

29 7/8" from end of slip joint on driveline to the face of the driveshaft mounting flange

So basically 4" of slip-joint and output shaft overlap

IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

1 minute ago, Zed Head said:

The parts manual shows only one propeller shaft for the 280Z's

Interesting. I also went from a R180 to a R200 diff. The face to face distance between the transmissions and diffs must be the same. 

Thanks Zed!