IGNORED

Advice on selling Mikunis

I purchased my 240 Z about eight years ago, after it had been garage-stored since the 90s. The previous owner added these triple Mikuni Solex carbs after swapping in a L28 engine, but only drove the car about 700 miles before putting it in storage. I put less than 50 miles on them, before replacing them with some SU carbs from Z-Therapy. I'd like to sell these Mikunis, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm not trying to get every last dime out of them, but I do want a fair price for their value. (I'm not sure of the size, and will need to confirm.) I'm looking for any advice on what I should be able to get for them. I don't know if I should just set a price or put them up on an ebay auction with a minimum. Or if there's a better place to sell these. AnyIMG_2779 2.HEICIMG_2779 2.HEICIMG_2779 2.HEICIMG_2779 2.HEIC advice would be appreciated. (They are located in Cleveland, Ohio.) Thanks

IMG_1973.PNG

IMG_2780 2.HEIC IMG_2782.HEIC IMG_2781 2.HEIC IMG_2778.HEIC

I realize what I have isn't an exact comparison, and never expected to get that much. These are very clean, but not recently rebuilt. So they could be better for someone who wants to save a little money and do the work themselves, or for someone who wants to rebuild them and sell them for a profit. But that still leaves me with the question of what I should be asking for them. 

From my limited knowledge, these appear to be Type-R Mikuni bodies, which are typical later castings, AFAIK.  Looks like you have some nice linkage, but everything needs to be rebuilt by the eventual purchaser, as "lightly used" is still "used" when it comes to old gas.  My initial guess is you could get $600-$900 as-is for everything pictured if you put it on eBay.  I'd suggest you do some snooping on eBay's "completed items" listings for historical pricing data.  Hope this helps!

It was just personal preference. I've had the SU carbs on past Zs, and the performance suits my driving needs. The Mikunis were overkill for occasional weekend drives, and I didn't want to hassle with the finicky tuning and adjustments. I purchased this Z because the body was in such great, rust-free shape, not for the performance mods.

• Like 1

I have bought and sold a lot of mikunis, the cleaner and nicer they are the better, a few of the guys rebuilding them charge an arm and a leg to do it.  

Ebay, Bring a trailer, facebook are all good spots to sell them.  

17 hours ago, CleZ said:

It was just personal preference. I've had the SU carbs on past Zs, and the performance suits my driving needs. The Mikunis were overkill for occasional weekend drives, and I didn't want to hassle with the finicky tuning and adjustments. I purchased this Z because the body was in such great, rust-free shape, not for the performance mods.

I hope to see you around Cleveland sometime. My car is out of commission right now waiting on a part for the LSD I'm installing.

Jeff

17 hours ago, Yarb said:

@duffymahoney What would you say on average the cost to refurbish.

Rebuilding doesn't take that long.  It really depends on how deep you go and how crusty they are.

Are circuits need to be cleaned and checked, new seals.  

Most of the rebuilders vapor hone, new zinc hardware, new gaskets, new butterflies and shafts.  I would guess its about 1 hour to dissemble all 3.  Then around 1 hour to put them back together very well.  The other steps would depend on a bunch of factors.  

• Like 1