IGNORED

Conflicting info on Voltage Regulator delete wiring

sboy79

Hey all!

My 77 280z alternator and/or regulator have decided to go to Valhalla. I have a 280zx parts car with a good alternator so want to upgrade to the zx alternator which is internally regulated and delete the original external regulator.

I've read all the DIY posts (which are all really well written) and am a little bit stuck. I'm seeing conflicting info on two of the best sites and wondering which is correct. I'm attaching pics from each site and pics of my connector in two configurations. Which is correct?

I chopped off the regulator plug to keep keep the car-side harness intact so the colors don't necessarily jive (I think I had an aftermarket regulator hence the wire color differences), however the pin number should coincide. There's two options:

Jumping 1 to 5 and 3 to 6 OR

Jumping 1 to 5 and 2 to 3

I'm guessing both might be correct but one operates the charge gauge/light correctly?

Any help here is much appreciated!

IMG_5726.jpg

IMG_5725.jpg

IMG_5724.jpg

IMG_5723.jpg

Posted (edited)

Not sure you should have cut the original harness without having a back up plan to go back original. Understand it’s a little too late at this point. IMHO

Edited by Yarb
Add

Where are you seeing two options for 1977?  The writeup that you pulled from is specific to 1977.  His other comments are his best guesses for other years.  I'd follow his first set of instructions.

https://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/alternatorswap/index.html

The table that you pasted might be from zcarcreations if I remember right (not positive).  That scheme will give you problems with your brake light.  Follow the atlanticZ instructions and you should be fine.  For 1977.

p.s. when you copy from other web sites it helps a lot to post the link.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, Yarb said:

Not sure you should have cut the original harness without having a back up plan to go back original

I didn’t. I cut that off the external regulator that I’m replacing. The female side (wiring harness side) is intact. 

8 hours ago, sboy79 said:

Hey all!

My 77 280z alternator and/or regulator have decided to go to Valhalla. I have a 280zx parts car with a good alternator so want to upgrade to the zx alternator which is internally regulated and delete the original external regulator.

I've read all the DIY posts (which are all really well written) and am a little bit stuck. I'm seeing conflicting info on two of the best sites and wondering which is correct. I'm attaching pics from each site and pics of my connector in two configurations. Which is correct?

I chopped off the regulator plug to keep keep the car-side harness intact so the colors don't necessarily jive (I think I had an aftermarket regulator hence the wire color differences), however the pin number should coincide. There's two options:

Jumping 1 to 5 and 3 to 6 OR

Jumping 1 to 5 and 2 to 3

I'm guessing both might be correct but one operates the charge gauge/light correctly?

Any help here is much appreciated!

IMG_5726.jpg

IMG_5725.jpg

IMG_5724.jpg

IMG_5723.jpg

Jump 1 to 5 & 2 to 3.

I even found a source for the 6 terminal connectors to make a nice looking plug for the VR connector.

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2024 at 3:05 AM, SteveJ said:

Jump 1 to 5 & 2 to 3

Just to follow up and close this out, I followed this direction and everything is working great. Thanks everyone!

• Like 1