IGNORED

Steering / Suspension makeover 280z

Hi Guys,

Basic question, what parts do you need for steering and suspension makeover. I am not looking for any performance or coil overs. Close to OEM specs are fine.

This is what comes to mind:

- Shocks
- Springs (I can clean and keep the original)
- Outer tie rods
- Ball joints
- End links
- Bushings kit

What else?

Any place where I can find a decent priced:

1. Steering rack
2. front traverse link bushings
3. Tension bar bushings

Struts, ball joints, outer tie rods, end links I can find on ebay.

5 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

Honest question, do steering racks wear out? Is it possible  // cost effective to refurbish an old one?

Absolutely. And parts are NLA to rebuild.  I would not hesitate to buy one of the excellent reproduction racks from technotoytuning. Looks 100% stock and they are new new new. They were on sale just a while ago, $495USD I believe. 

• Agree 1

They do wear out. Mainly in the center where most of the driving is done. They can be adjusted but the results are unpredictable. It would have to be very worn for me to want to replace it

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

They do wear out. Mainly in the center where most of the driving is done. They can be adjusted but the results are unpredictable. It would have to be very worn for me to want to replace it

I am a bit new to the 280z rack. My rack might be OK and based on some videos I have seen I might very well change the inner and outer tie rods and just clean and paint the original one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Are you looking at “carparts manual.com”?

OK I found the tension bar bushing code #20 here.

The pic shows traverse link bolt #17 but no bushing. I am pretty sure there is a bushing in there on my car.

S30-090-01.JPG

I believe they are still available new from Nissan. I'm sure I have the part number in my build thread but no idea what page it's on or how to search just one thread...