IGNORED

Series 1 rear brake issues

22 hours ago, cgsheen1 said:

Okay, you did the bushings, springs, and struts plus some powder coat - but what did you do to the rear braking system? Shoes, springs, retainers, cylinders? You left the rear axles and bearings intact? 

I rebuilt the half shafts and all new bearings

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

The fsm says pulling the e-brake up a few times is the adjustment after changing shoes. Mine went from almost straight up to about half way. Kinda like ED as I got older. ROFL

I saw that in the FSM, but mine did not self adjust.

12 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Do you hear the same grinding when you spin the hubs with the drums removed?  If the backing plates aren't interfering with the drums then the grinding could be a bad wheel bearing in the hub.  

I did not hear the same.

23 hours ago, loudoun said:

the rear wheels sound like absolute grinding hell

Just for clarity, and maybe a clue - you said wheels, plural.  If that is correct then, of course, the cause is either identical on both sides, or is being transmitted from the differential.  Or mabe even the propeller shaft, or coming from the shaft.  

Are you sure it's  coming from the wheels?  And how fast are you going when you hear the noise?

Could be more a lot more detail to the description.  Good luck.

23 hours ago, loudoun said:

when I try to move the car

Piling on - actually, it sounds like the brakes are/were stuck in the applied position.  Were the drums hard to remove?

You've probably solved it and moved on.  Just posting for fun.

44 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Piling on - actually, it sounds like the brakes are/were stuck in the applied position.  Were the drums hard to remove?

You've probably solved it and moved on.  Just posting for fun.

Zed Head, sorry for the lack of a description. It was a 12 hour day, and I had just gotten home. Prior the drums were so tight (after adjusting fine, and just a 1/2 block drive) that I actually broke the pads removing the drums. I get an awful grinding noise as soon as the car starts to roll. I have it on a lift now, but work is so busy, that I will not be able to get to it till this weekend.

On 7/9/2024 at 6:48 PM, grannyknot said:

remove the wheels and and spin the hubs, could just be the drums rubbing against the backing plate.

This is the most likely cause.  It would be unaffected by the shoe change.  Very common.  Somebody on the forum just had a similar problem.  

The drum is a close fit around the perimeter of the backing plate, see red arrow.  Any slight bend will cause rubbing, and the plate material is not that strong.  The plate itself acts like an amplifier of the sound.  Some finesse with a hammer will fix it.  Usually you can see a shiny spot where the drum rubs.

image.png

• Like 3