IGNORED

Help ID brake calipers

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Any ideas on how they would end up on a 1974 260Z?  Question for anybody.  Strange...

The owner back in around '83 did a major set of mods on the car including front brakes that were recorded as being from a Nissan racing catalog or something. They were last rebuilt in 2008 unless I'm missing some documentation. 

Now a new question to all you experts... I have a pair of new Toyota 4x4 calipers, rotors, and brake pads on order. Do I want to rebuild and reinstall what I have or replace? 

Edited by Jeff Berk

I was going to also ask if they had any inherent value.  They might, to the right person, since they're probably NLA now.  Don't turn them in as cores.

For what you're doing Id guess that performance will be about the same between the two options.  You're planning to autocross it, right?  Are you using the vented rotors?

32 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Any ideas on how they would end up on a 1974 260Z?  Question for anybody.  Strange...

Very likely - if not certain - to have been purchased from Datsun Competition USA as an aftermarket street tuning upgrade. Elsewhere in the world they were available - in both solid (stock) rotor and vented rotor form - via Nissan Sports from 1969 and, after 1984, NISMO.

MK63 calipers were the period FIA and JAF homologated race and rally option for 'our' cars. Nissan used them on their Works competition cars.

15 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Not sure what, exactly, "Reproduction" means but there's this -

One or two compaines in Japan have/are doing reproductions, they look similar, but have differences in the outward apperance, no reference to M63, and I think they have two different size pistons in the caliper. I presume (Alan?) that due to the rebuild costs and the need in the market, these repros are out there.

Rebuild parts (mostly) for the MK'S are available, but soon add up if all pistons need replaced.

Jeff, if you decide not want to use or need the MK63's I could be interested.

Anyone know what a set of MK63s in need of new pads and possibly a bleed screw ball bearing worth? I'm assuming the pistons are in good shape because the brakes were wearing evenly.

I was going to send them back for the core charge until you experts out there pointed out they were not Toyota units. That would of been a waste.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 12:31 PM, Zed Head said:

I was going to also ask if they had any inherent value.  They might, to the right person, since they're probably NLA now.  Don't turn them in as cores.

For what you're doing Id guess that performance will be about the same between the two options.  You're planning to autocross it, right?  Are you using the vented rotors?

Yes, I'm going to autocross the car and I suspect some people need the MK63s to meet requirements for historic racing. I'm switching to Toyota 4x4 with vented Z rotors. It looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my master cylinder as well.

Posted (edited)

When installing the Toyota 4x4 brake components shown on the list below, are any spacers needed? The holes are in the right place to mount the caliper but it doesn't seem to be lined up correctly. Is the mounting bracket for the Mk63 different?

image.png

Edited by Jeff Berk

Don’t know any thing about S12+8 vented caliper rotor calipers. My earlier post with S12W calipers that required a vented rotor has to be mounted with the Techno Toys spacer kit. The hub won’t align properly without it.