Everything posted by LeonV
-
l28build questions
Ha, I'm in the same dilemma, Rob! I've yet to cc the head though so I don't know the exact CR.
-
Diagnosis Quiz for ClassicZcar Readers:
Check to see whether the coil is sending a spark to the distributor. If not, there's an issue with spark signaling, i.e. triggering mechanism within distributor or the ignition module itself. Sounds like it was a hot-start issue, so it may be an electrical connection failing from heat.
-
What are you on the look out for?
Pretty sure brand new ones are less than $1k. e.g. 15x7 Panasport FZ Street Wheel With that said, rubbing depends on the tires (sidewall height & section width), not the rims.
-
Slave cylinder hose gasket?
We forgot the ANAESTHETIC!
-
What are you on the look out for?
-
Homeboyx's 280z Thread
So... do you plan to take some measurements on the chassis then? Take it to a shop that can do it for you?
-
Slave cylinder hose gasket?
-
Slave cylinder hose gasket?
Because it shouldn't leak as designed, as you can see in the drawings that you provided. If it's leaking, something's wrong. That other washer is very likely used for load distribution, NOT sealing pressurized hydraulic fluid.
-
Slave cylinder hose gasket?
Sounds like the fitting is either undertorqued or overtorqued/damaged. Please don't use a washer/gasket to seal it.
-
Homeboyx's 280z Thread
As I mentioned earlier, to only get shrugged off...
- Slave cylinder hose gasket?
-
Another MSA door weatherstrip problem
Does anyone actually bother to adjust the door strikers when putting on new weatherstripping? It's kinda necessary...
-
Progress on rust repairs
Looks like a thorough job, very nice!
-
This will be a tough one: Lock pin for striking rod of F4W71B
You're in Socal, I'm sure you have a speed shop near by that stocks it. I get mine from a local shop (Gotelli's in SSF for anyone on the SF Peninsula). Tranny shifts great...
-
WEber Internal spring
FWIW, upon checking I also got the medium (47605.027) return springs. Looks like some testing is in order...
-
This will be a tough one: Lock pin for striking rod of F4W71B
I thought you read that article I posted? If it's a GL-5, it WILL damage your syncros over time. Whoever said GL-4 is rare is ignorant and misinformed. API GL-4 is not "rare". I use Redline MT-90. Buy a GL-4 gear oil. It's not at all difficult to find.
-
WEber Internal spring
Phil, What we're talking about happens with the linkage totally disconnected! Disconnect the linkage, individually blip the throttles and see if they drop back to idle. Mine hang. Good link on the return springs. I'll have to look back and see what I ordered, but from memory I got the stiffest ones available at Pierce.
-
msa performance exhaust, 6-1 header with pics
Same here. I got a new MSA 6-1 with MSA's old-style Premium exhaust (slip fit instead of flanged) with a Z I got recently and have been thinking about what I want to do with it. Good read!
-
WEber Internal spring
I have the same problems with my old DCOE18s. It's likely stiction within the bearings, throttle rod, butterfly-to-throat, etc. I haven't done much to alleviate it as I've been content with my throttle return. I went as far as the change out the internal throttle returns for new ones. It wasn't too difficult but don't expect it to be a piece of cake. That didn't change a whole lot. I've done the same blip one carb at-a-time test and they all failed to completely return to idle. I said the hell with it and just set up the linkage as best as I could. Thinking more on the throttle mechanism, there are two springs in there fighting against one another: the return spring and accel pump spring. I haven't done so, but I'm curious how much of an effect removing the accel pump springs would have on throttle return. This would simulate getting a slightly stiffer return spring.
-
This will be a tough one: Lock pin for striking rod of F4W71B
I took a second and looked up that Wally-World gear oil you're using. It's an API GL-5. You're slowly destroying your syncros... EDIT: GL-4 vs. GL-5: http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf
-
This will be a tough one: Lock pin for striking rod of F4W71B
You should be fine as long as it's an API GL-4 grade oil.
-
Hls30-24140
Halfshaft angles do not affect wheelbase. I have zero factual info on why. I can only guess it had something to do with packaging and/or parts/tooling-availability.
-
Major screw up
Looks like a mash-up of the old and new style DCOE. This won't work (well) because of a few design changes, notably the different pitch and taper of the idle screws. I'm sure there are other minute differences that will make setting the carbs up properly a major headache. Get a matching set.
-
Hls30-24140
Coming along nicely, great to see 2 nice Zs side-by-side in the garage! Tires are nice and meaty, that thing will have a ton of grip.
-
ballast resistor.
Your coil will be fine. Your points, however, may not be so lucky...