Everything posted by Zed Head
-
280z low rpm hesitation
-
280z low rpm hesitation
Sounds like the not uncommon lean air-fuel mix. For whatever reason - changes in fuel, degrading electronics, etc. - the EFI systems don't work the same today as they did then. The fix is to add resistance to the coolant temperature signal that the ECU uses. Where to find a potentiometer is, somewhat ironically, more difficult in today's Amazon'ed world. Radio Shack and Fry's stores are not around anymore. Blue wrote up a nice description. It's pretty simple, and you can test it in the engine bay before making it permanent. https://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/tempsensorpot/index.html p.s. make sure to set the AFM back exactly where it was.
-
1977 280Z crank/no-start — EFI relay pin 20 continuity failure, dry plugs, weak orange spark
My response probably wasn't 100% clear. In my case, I didn't check for fuel in the cylinders, but I did check for spark. It was weak. So I tried the ether and it started and kept running. That told me that the injectors were working and had fuel, and that there was sufficient spark once it was running. Plus I was aware of how finicky the ignition modules can be since I'd had my original fail in an odd way, and had been reading about them. And I knew that I had recently messed up by running the engine with two spark plug leads hanging. So, if it starts and keeps running with ether it's probably a bad module. If it starts then dies immediately with ether it's probably a fuel problem.
-
1977 280Z crank/no-start — EFI relay pin 20 continuity failure, dry plugs, weak orange spark
I had a damaged GM HEI module once that produced weak orange spark. It would only start with starting fluid, even on a warm engine. (I damaged it by leaving two spark plugs disconnected and starting the engine after working on it). I swapped the module to a new one and it fired right up, as normal. You might try using starting fluid to see what happens. If it starts that would show that everything else is in proper condition. The GM HEI module works in the same way as the Nissan ZX module.
-
Laser Welding
Stumbled across this interesting comparison of MIG, TIG, and laser welding. The resto guys might be interested. I'm amazed at how powerful these laser tools are. I grew up learning about water jet cutting, which seemed amazing, then plasma, then laser cutting. And now we have laser welding. I learned how to arc weld in 7th grade shop class. Feels kind of useless today. Oh well. Progress.
-
Uh-oh: chunks of foam (?) in front shocks
Might have been Koni. Probably in one of these threads. https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aclassiczcars.com+bump+stop
-
Uh-oh: chunks of foam (?) in front shocks
Many people don't use bump stops. I think that those hard polyurethane stops probably limit travel. By at least an inch, I'd guess. There used to be another option out there, of softer foam. Can't remember the brand. Are your shocks/struts original or have they already been changed to inserts? KYB shocks worked well on my 76. They seem to have a good reputation around the automotive world. I put them on my truck, They work great. They're cheaper at RockAuto. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1970,240z,2.4l+l6,1209147,suspension,shock+/+strut,7556
-
New Member--Servicing Z cars
Yikes. Wire nuts. Not yours though. Take that distributor apart and check the breaker plate bearing holder. It's plastic and they break if there's rust and it's forced to move. You've probably seen similar on other cars of course, but worth a reminder. Good luck, maybe start a rebuild thread here. https://www.eclecticmotorworks.com/2026/02/07/1978-datsun-280z/
-
New Member--Servicing Z cars
https://www.eclecticmotorworks.com/
-
Uh-oh: chunks of foam (?) in front shocks
The foam might be the remains of an "ASSY-BUMPER BOUND". AKA bump stop. I've never seen one myself. http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/axle/front-suspension/46 Lowering spring options seem limited. There used to be some choices, like Vogtland, but I don't know what's out there today.
-
Light refresh of a 5-speed
HEY! The propeller shaft dimensions are in the FSM's. Here's what I found in what I think is the 1970 FSM, and the 1976 FSM. 1972 didn't have the length listed for some reason. Don't forget the 2+2.
-
Light refresh of a 5-speed
It's personal preference, I think. Some people would use a thumb, finger, and a razor blade. Others some sort of cobbled together scraper.
-
Light refresh of a 5-speed
Don't lose your countershaft bearing shim. It's very thin, it presses on the countershaft bearing. I think it preloads the bearing so things are right after the aluminum case expands during use. Looks like yours might still be stuck to the cover. I used non-hardening Hylomar Blue on the front cover gasket. There are other brands available. This is from the 73 chapter:
-
Wiper pump motor thoughts
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1971,240z,2.4l+l6,1209158,wiper+&+washer,washer+pump,8840 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=274028&cc=1209158&pt=8840&jsn=433
-
Wiper pump motor thoughts
Explains why somebody would be selling impellers. I was a little bit "what the heck" when I saw the eBay listing. 10 available. Probably one of those wrecking yard pocket harvesters.
-
Wiper pump motor thoughts
Can you take it apart? Looks like it's possible. Might be worth an inspection. Can't hurt if it's already broken. https://www.ebay.com/itm/257561741748?_skw=Datsun+240z+OEM+Factory+Windshield+Washer+Tank+Assembly+27470-89901
-
Ignition relay question
Any chance you're talking about the combined EFI/fuel pump relay? It's the one on the driver's side, left of the steering wheel under the dash panel. The ignition relay is over by the fuse box. You mentioned EFI.
-
Resurrected Classics Gas filler neck became hard ( phrasing) after about a year.
Are they for sale to your customers? That was my basic point. There's a need. Anyway, good luck with the Takumi Series. It's not really a series though until there's more than one product.
-
1" Wilwood Master Cylinder issue
Drums in the back? Are the front calipers the Toyota units? I've read past reports about needing to unbolt calipers and orient the bleed screw to the very top, sometimes even using a piece of wood to take the place of the discs. But I think that was for a rear disc conversion. One way I learned to determine if you have a large air bubble is to watch the fluid leave and return to the reservoir after pressing the pedal. If a lot moves it means the MC is pushing it out to somewhere and the bubble pressure is returning it. It was the clue that told me I had the fronts reversed. Big air pockets.
-
Resurrected Classics Gas filler neck became hard ( phrasing) after about a year.
Maybe Giken has access to those design tolerances. As a "long-standing Japanese engineering partner, whose decades of experience designing high-performance components for Japanese OEMs." Still interesting that the buyer has to disassemble the transmission, removing the front case, then reassemble with the new front case. So there is some measuring and choosing of shims necessary, if it is like the previous Z transmissions. The counterbearing shim maybe. Why not just provided the completed product? Just a curiosity. It will be interesting to see how the new Takumi Series product line grows. Maybe a complete engine is next. p.s. the original suggestion about providing filler hose rubber has not been addressed. Seems like a real opportunity if what's out there is not of high quality. An obvious add-on to a tank purchase.
-
Resurrected Classics Gas filler neck became hard ( phrasing) after about a year.
I found this. https://nismoparts.nissanusa.com/parts/nismo-nismo-s15-silvia-reinforced-6sp-transmission-32010rrs50
-
240z cuts out under load.......
That's what they call "all in " timing. What the engine would see at open throttle (low intake vaccum), accelerating. It is commonly set at 34 degrees. Do it with the vacuum advance disconnected and watch it as you rev. It should smoothly rise to that number then sit there. If your weights are gummed up or a spring broken you'll be able to tell. If you can't get there then you might be right about the drive gear being off a tooth.
-
Help with rear drum brakes
I'd also check the brake booster. Look for signs of leakage/paint peeling at the interface of the MC and booster and beneath. Take the bolts out of the MC and pull it forward to see if there's fluid in the booster. You can do it without removing the hydraulic lines.
-
Resurrected Classics Gas filler neck became hard ( phrasing) after about a year.
So, reading the list of parts, it looks like the person buying has to do the "bellhousing" swap themselves. Which is actually the front case. Hence the need for a fabricated gasket. Precise clearances, etc. Anyway, still very interesting. How do they sell all of the parts for less than just the transmission costs in the states? Parts A, B, and C. Transmission, shift lever, and front case? Takumi Series Package ContentsEvery TS-001 package for L-series includes: TS-001 A 32010-RRS50 NISMO reinforced 6 speed T/M TS-001 B 32839-89F00 NISSAN shift lever TS-001 C1 GIKENCC-OHC* Bellhousing replacement kit for Nismo 6-speed T/M Additional Components RequiredTo complete the installation the following components are required: Custom driveshaft with the correct transmission yoke and length Bellhousing gaskets (to be fabricated by the installer)
-
Resurrected Classics Gas filler neck became hard ( phrasing) after about a year.
You've added the word "design", but your quote only says manufacture. And, the grammar is poor on the S30 page, since it literally says the engine is manufactured by Giken, not the bellhousing. Even if you look past that, it's not clear who designed it. I think that you might be seeing what you want to see instead of what's actually there. S30 needs a better editor for their web page. They should have included the name of the company, GIKEN, after they introduced the program. And maybe somebody just misspelled "this" as his. This company. Who knows. Throw in a few more commas and things become more clear. The overall language is too flowery. Just say what you're doing. That's enough. " partnered with one of Japan’s most respected engineering and prototyping shops that developed an entirely new bellhousing." "In Japanese culture, the term “Takumi” refers to a master craftsman. For decades his company has developed prototype components and engineering solutions for Japan’s leading automotive manufacturers." Looks like they have plans for other "Takumi Series" products. The transmission is #1. "About the S30.World Takumi Series The Takumi Series is a carefully curated collection of components developed in collaboration with Japan’s finest engineers, craftsmen and specialty manufacturers."