Mike's Content - Page 5 - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Mike

Administrator
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Mike

  1. Nice new ride!
  2. No problem, it looks like I was duped by the bot post. You apparently had resolved this a year ago... lol
  3. Oh, lol I just noticed this was from a year ago as well. Yeah, bots typically dig up old stuff and reply with a general unrelated message. Thanks, I'll take care of it. Mike
  4. Our club has a copyright release for the Nissan materials. For the others, you would have to buy the hard copies and digitize them yourself, for your own use. I don't want to get into copyright issues here on our club because I don't want to mess with someone else's investment. It take a lot of time to create and publish a book.
  5. Awesome photos! Congrats on keeping the old Z and the new addition of the current model... these look so sweet together!
  6. Interesting, how much is the installation of this product? I might be interested.
  7. Yeah this would be awesome. You can probably start with 3D printing prototypes. I know BMW has something similar with an adapter that can be mounted in a standard hydraulic jack. I believe it's called a "Jack Pad" or similar...
  8. I'd make them pay for the repair
  9. Mike replied to Mike's topic in For Sale
    Some additional photos... rear tail light panel is now the correct color. ;)
  10. Mike replied to Mike's topic in For Sale
    You guys recommend any changes to bring more value? I've been thinking about stock front nose (getting rid of the airdam).
  11. Gents, Looks like I might have to put up my Z for sale and I'm curious to know if there's a good market for the early-series Z cars right now. Mine is a 1971 model with parts from 1970 and 1971. Most of you know the history of my car but in a nutshell it was completely sandblasted and restored from the frame. Serial numbers do not match as the original owner let the car freeze while it was in storage. I've had the car since I was in high school (a looooong time ago). I bought it from the father of the original owner, Bob Gilder (pro golfer). Bob used the car when he was just getting started as a newlywed in the PGA. He used to drive the car to tournaments and I might be able to dig out a few photos of him pulling clubs out of the back of the car. Car was originally silver. Engine is a balanced/blueprinted L28 from Rebello and the carbs are triple Mikuni's with separate air cleaners. This was the first engine to have the triple weber setup from Steve at Ztherapy. Unfortunately it does not have the triple SU's as Steve kept those for his own projects. Suspension is adjustable Tokico's and matching springs. Pretty much everything else is stock except for the color of course. It does have sway bars installed. Dash is a new one from Les Cannaday when he was building the early reproductions that Nissan put together. Wheels are VTO classic 8's wrapped with tires that are only a few years old. Right now she's sitting covered in a storage unit and I just don't have the space to keep her at home. Windshield is the last remaining unit that we found in Nissan's inventory. All other glass is original, including the hatch with vertical defrosters (a 1970 model leftover when it was assembled). I have a Nismo fuel pump and bracket that has not yet been installed. Plenty of books, manuals, microfiche, and extra goodies will come with the deal. Not many things wrong, but there are a few glitches. The brake fluid distribution valve could use a rebuild. Some brake fluid dripped onto the rail under the distribution valve caused the paint to peel a bit. The MSA 6-1 headers get very hot and it affects the braking, I would think new owner should have the headers removed and coated or covered to prevent this (or use a higher temp brake fluid). There is a small paint bubble near the fuel filler that I have not yet looked into. Headlight cones were painted after the main car was done so the paint color is slightly different (body guy wasn't able to match the color exactly). Cold starts after sitting for months can sometimes take a few times, but she starts and drives without issue. Engine sounds great and does not leak any oil. Entire car is pristine and needs more daily attention than I've been giving her... I would consider her a stock resto-mod. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or just comment here. Not sure if it would pull more value with a direct sale or if I should even consider putting her up on BAT. Thanks guys! Mike
  12. Mike posted a topic in Open Chit Chat
    I found this and thought it was cool... so here I am sharing it with y'all
  13. Or just log in... What's the point of using guest mode?
  14. Done, I think it was your resolution but I was able to pull the menu down a little smaller so it no longer shows "More" thx for the feedback
  15. Yes, you can mostly thank the EU (GDPR) and California (CCPA)... We don't need to follow HIPPA since we are not storing healthcare information. Fun, right? 😵‍💫
  16. Fixed, thank you!
  17. I split this to a new thread because it was hijacking the intent of my original post. But, I will look for the code to see what changed. HybridZ is using the same software (thanks to yours truly) but they are still on the old version. They will likely update that site. I suspect there is a cookie policy change for guests, meaning the new 'internet' GDPR rules won't allow us to store cookies until someone accepts the terms and conditions. The old software did this without requiring strict acceptance. In order for the system to know where you left off, a cookie must be stored on your computer. Otherwise it has no idea who you are and where you were at during the last visit.
  18. The only option that guests can click is "Topics Last 24 Hours" which is shown here. When I click on a forum post in that list, it does look like the link takes me to the first post in the thread. I'll have to do some digging into the code to see what changed and provide a possible fix. Why do you think this is an important feature?
  19. What do you think it should do?
  20. I really got into following the Peking to Paris Rally when Chris Bury and his father built a car for the rally.
  21. A great link to the cars located at the Heritage Museum in Japan. INCLUDING many safari cars. https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERITAGE_COLLECTION/fairlady_z.html
  22. Wanted to share and archive this great article from The Gentleman Racer. Datsun 240Z Rally CarsbyMichael Satterfield 6 years ago 2 mins read We stopped in to visit the Datsun 240Z Rally Cars at the Nissan Heritage Center in Japan; for more from our visit to Japan, CLICK HERE. In the early 70s, Nissan wanted to make a splash in the international sports car world with its new 240Z; while famous road racing teams like BRE were becoming a force in SCCA racing, much of the world saw Rally as the ultimate test of a car’s endurance, so from 1970-1973 Nissan backed factory rally teams in some of the most grueling and prestigious races in the world. Rally had been dominated by European cars like the Volkswagen Beetle, Peugeot 404, Mini Cooper, and Ford Escort for over 20 years. However, Nissan and their Datsun 240Z Rally Cars would be the first Japanese manufacturer to challenge the old guard and win. Nissan’s first overall win was at the Safari Rally in 1970, with the Datsun 1600 SSS Rally car driven by Edgar Herrmann and Hans Schüller. They repeated their success in 1971 in a Datsun 240Z rally car. Nissan would be the first manufacturer to win back-to-back victories in Over-All Victory, Class Victory, Team Victory, and Manufactures Championship at the Safari Rally. In 1972, Mitsubishi won with their new Lancer 1600 GSR, but Shekhar Mehta and Lofty Drews brought home the win again for Nissan in 1973 in a Datsun 240Z rally car. While East Africa is hot, dusty, and wild, Monte Carlo is a completely different kind of rally, teams start from nine different European cities for the first stage headed to Monte Carlo, from there the stages take the teams from the coast of the Mediterranean into the hills of the French countryside. The final stage is a 12-hour overnight race through the icy roads of the Alps. The ice and darkness make it one of the most difficult stages in the world of rally racing. The first year Nissan finished 2nd in class and fifth overall, in 1972 Nissan saw a podium with a third overall finish, and in 1973 the team finished ninth overall. It wouldn’t be until 1990 that a Toyota Celica GT-Four ST165 would bring an overall win at the Monte Carlo Rally home to a Japanese manufacturer. The Southern Cross Rally ran from 1966-1980 and was held in New South Wales. Australia was an important export market for Nissan and the factory had been supporting motorsports since the mid-50s, so it was no surprise that the Datuns 240Z rally campaigned Down Under. The rally started in Hyde Park, Sydney, and followed the coastline towards Port Macquarie. The bulk of the stages were at night with just two daylight stages, the total distance of the race in 1972 was just under 2,000 miles. Dan White has an amazing album of period photos, including lots of great shots of the Datsun 240Z. You have to check out HERE. While Nissan 240Z never won the Southern Cross overall, in 1971, Datsuns took fifth and sixth overall, and in 1972, the team took first in class and second overall. 1973, the best a Datsun 240Z rally could muster was an eighth place overall. Nissan later dominated the Southern Cross from 1977-198,0, winning overall victories with the Datsun 710 and Stanza rally cars. Today, many of the original rally cars are kept in the Nissan Heritage Collection at the Zama Operation Center in Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan. The collection can be visited most days between 10 AM-12 PM and 2 PM-4 PM, and there are only 40 visitors at a time. You must make an appointment to tour the collection. Enjoy more photos from our visit to the Nissan Heritage Collection to see the Datsun 240Z Rally Cars below: Historic Photos Courtesy of Nissan Heritage Archives

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.