Jarvo2's Content - Page 19 - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Jarvo2

Community Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Jarvo2

  1. I used Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) to get an eBay find from Texas to Chicago back in May. Horrible communication, but they were spot on with their 2 week delivery date. I've never heard of anyone with a good experience with a shipping company. If I had to do it again, I'd fly out to where the car was & trailer it back with a rental truck. Probably would be quicker & cheaper (it was ~$800 to ship with DAS).
  2. jharvat -- Great to hear you're pleased with the results of AD. Can you please let me know how much they charged for the rebuild service as well as the turn-around time? Thanks.
  3. I was on a similar hunt and found a lightly used points distributor for my 240z on eBay for $45 shipped. I spoke to Cardone and they said that I could send in my current distributor via Napa and they would rebuild it...only problem is it takes 8+ weeks!! I'd suggest piecing together what you need.
  4. You can pull the distributor cap off, and then pull the vacuum advance hose off of the front carb. Suck on the hose & look for the breaker plate within the distributor to move. Also, if when you 'suck' the vacuum should hold. If it doesn't then the diaphragm inside is shot.
  5. Sounds like an ignition problem to me. I'd suggest to check your timing first, and confirm your spark plug wires are all connected properly. The fact that it was backfiring through the exhaust tells me that the engine was getting fuel, it just wasn't combusting until it was out in the hot exhaust pipe. I recently ran into an issue with my vacuum advance failing which caused timing problems. Other things to check will be your points, rotor, and distributor cap. Best of luck!
  6. Congrats & welcome! Looks similar to my '72 which I'm slowly resurrecting. http://jarvas240z.blogspot.com/
  7. Thanks ZedHead. I can't for the life of me find a replacement vacuum advance canister! The closest I could find is one that appears to be the same as ours, but is for a Honda Civic. I just don't know if its worth the $60 risk a wild chance. Do you have any suggestions of where to obtain a Hitatchi-compatible canister? I spent the day calling CourtesyNissan, NissanPartsZone, etc. all of whom show they're in stock but they actually don't have them. http://www.enginepartsrus.com/standard-motor-products-vacuum-control-honda-civicvc291-p-2528.html
  8. Other than single vs. dual points configuration, what is the difference between an AT and a MT distributor? I'm currently running a Petronix electronic ignition within my troubled MT distributor. I'm wondering if I can just pick up an AT distributor, pull the dual points out & put my Petronix in & be set. Has anyone attempted this?
  9. I'm hoping to go next year! When I was a kid I used to go to Elkhart with my dad quite a bit & look forward to getting back into it with my kids....especially now that I have a '72 I'm restoring.
  10. Looks like this might fit, I'm surprised that other Datsun models aren't listed. Any thoughts? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370643483078&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
  11. So I've narrowed my issues down to a bad vacuum advance dashpot (the breaker plate was lubed up & moves very smoothly). I can't for the life of me find anyone who supplies the dashpot alone; every place I check says to buy the whole distributor and a new dashpot will be included. Does anyone have any suggestions of a source for new dashpots?? Thanks!
  12. Mine had a zip-tie around it, but it might have been from the previous owner.
  13. My guess is they'll call the Mini-Z which has been discussed here quite a bit (http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1207_nissan_working_on_mini_z_to_target_frs_brz) the 'new 240z'. Makes perfect sense since Automobile Magazine has compared the FR-S to the original 240z (http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1210_respect_your_elders_1971_datson_240z_vs_2013_scion_fr_s). I agree with the others...I'll keep my '72.
  14. Jarvo2 replied to luke002's topic in Body & Paint
    Pour some rubbing alcohol into the tank and slosh it around, then dump it....should dry it all out well.
  15. I certainly would be interested in a reproduction at a reasonable price!
  16. Very cool! Glad that I just picked up my '72 for $2300, pretty much rust-free, along with a ton of NOS parts! Let the restoration begin.
  17. I'm looking for a front engine-hook (the on that goes on the front of the engine near the mechanical fuel pump that I can use for hoisting the engine out) for my '72 240z. If anyone has an extra laying around & wouldn't mind passing it forward, I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks.
  18. I have several old Bob Sharp catalogs, and I guess it depends what year the springs/struts were replaced. In the catalog there are three main brands: Kontrolle, Hulholland, and Koni's.
  19. Where were you able to obtain the NOS hoses? I'm just about to start this project as well on my '72
  20. I've searched high & low without avail and I'm hoping someone can assist me with identifying the various sizes (I.D.) of vacuum hoses that I'll need to replace on my stock '72 240z. I'm going for functionality, not points so I'm fine going with auto-parts store grade vacuum hosing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  21. Make me an offer.... http://www.datsunclassifieds.com/showproduct.php/product/7226/title/72-dealer-installed-a-c-kit/cat/4
  22. I recently posted a glove-box FM Tuner / 8-Track combo in the classifieds section for anyone looking to add a period-correct accessory. Includes the brackets and instruction sheet. PM me if you're interested or have any questions. http://www.datsunclassifieds.com/showproduct.php/product/7227/title/beltek-8-track-amp-fm-tuner/cat/4
  23. Here's a picture of what I have: - Condensor (new, unused with plastic plugs still in the ends - Airbox coil (used, all of the 'guts' are still inside) - Compressor (net, unused in original box, appears to have been ordered by the previous owner to replace the original) - 2 Dryers (both look new, but hard to tell) - A/C Switch with temperature sensor (used) - Pulley with electromagnetic clutch & belt (appears to be used) - Box of miscellaneous fittings, hoses, connectors, etc. I should be able to pull the mounting bracket off of my engine block as well (not pictured) if anyone is seriously interested in this kit.
  24. I have a complete dealer installed A/C system that was in my '72 240z. The former owner included a new/unused condensor, new compressor, and new dryers along with the foot-well box coil, switch, etc. Is there any market for this antiquated system or should I talk to the local scrappers to see what they'd give me for the metal? I figure if I ever want A/C in the Z I would buy a newer version from VintageAir or somewhere similar. Any thoughts?
  25. Here is the best write-up I've been able to find. Great diagrams. I installed the Pertronix without any issues on my '72 http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/ZXPertronix.htm

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.