Jeff Berk's Content - Page 25 - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Jeff Berk

Community Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Jeff Berk

  1. I have a 260z but I think the differential was switched out in the 1980's with an R200 differential. While replacing the strut on the right rear I noticed dried oil around the half shaft seal. I started looking up how to replace the seal and it looks there are several specialized tools needed. Is this a straight forward repair? I thought that all I needed to do is unblot it and yank out the shaft. Jeff
  2. I'm in the process of building this tool. How well did it work for you? Also, has anyone considered adding grease fittings to prevent the spindle from getting stuck next time?
  3. concerning Bulldog, if you plan on coating it then taking somewhere else to paint: "...Bulldog is effective up to 24 hours. If the sprayed part is left overnight, the basecoat can be applied with no issue. If the part is left longer than 24 hours it needs to be scuffed and tacked, again. Apply 1 light coat of Bulldog before applying basecoat." http://www.finishmaster.com/prod/assets/GBDS12326_QBDS12327_EBDS12328.pdf
  4. I didn't think of looking at RockAuto. I'll go that route. No need for it even to be from a Z.
  5. I am in need of a throwout bearing to build a spindle pin removal tool. As long as it can spin, I can use it. I am hoping to get one for the cost of shipping if possible. Thanks Jeff
  6. I have one of those in my 260z but the lack of stereo was too much. I'm installing a modern radio in my glove compartment and a switch to go between the old and new radios. I had to use a relay to switch between speakers since speakers couldn't be wired both as mono and stereo at the same time.
  7. Lumens... If you happen to have a '74 260Z manual you would like to pay forward, please contact me. There are a few sections of the on-line one that are too fuzzy to read. That or my eyesight is worse than I thought. (My mom told me to stop but I wouldn't listen.)
  8. Siteunseen: I already ordered the gasket from an on-line source. My local dealer is very unresponsive. I have a big bottle of anti-seize but I'm sure I'll never have to remove those bolts again (yea, right...). I'll likely work on rebuilding, polishing and clear-coating my carb's while I wait until for the gasket to arrive. Thanks to you and everyone else for help. Who know that a simple post "Is removing my intake manifold risky" would generate so much response. One more question about a hose connection on the front carburetor. There is an inlet shown in the center of this image (stolen from Datsunroadsterranch) to the left of the dome that allows air to enter the carburetor when choked: It was blocked off by a PO with a small rubber tube with a plug in the end. Should this be connected to something of importance? It seems odd that it's only on the front carb. Jeff
  9. I ordered an OEM using the parts number supplied by siteunseen. Thank you for the help. Down the rabbit hole I go...
  10. Any idea what gasket to get for an N42 head with an E46/E48 intake manifold? My car's a '74 260 but has a different engine and carb setup than original. I would of thought all the 240-280's had the same but that may not be the case. I'd likely not get an OEM since I need the option to return it if it does not fit.
  11. I just realized that the intake manifold gasket is also the exhaust manifold gasket. That being the case, I need to remove the exhaust manifold as well to replace the gasket, correct?
  12. I didn't know there was a clear coating you could apply to bare metal that was heat resistant. I'll read up on it but might go with Rust-Oleum Engine Enamel instead because I found it locally at Summit Racing. I got the last two bolts off and noticed that the inside of the intake is very rough. Would smoothing it out and polishing help performance or would it be a waste of time?
  13. I like that valve cover Siteunseen. Right now I have mine polished with Mother's. It's tempting to sand blast it to get that effect. Did you tape over the lettering or buff them out afterwards? I decided to pull my intake and started the project tonight. I seem to be one of those that likes to tinker with cars as much or more that drive them. I still have two bolts under the intake to remove that are difficult to get to. I found it odd that the lower bolts don't go through the flange but instead bolt to the block with wide washers that hold the lower flange against the engine. Nothing seemed overly tight so snapping off a stud or bolt is unlikely.
  14. Ok. Not worth the potential problem.
  15. I just rebuilt one of the two SU''s on my '74 260z and really like how it looks after blasting the body with glass beads. I'd like to do the same with the intake manifold but wanted to get some input on how much trouble I''m asking for in removing the intake (i.e. what is the likelihood that I'm going to break something like a stud in removing it). A local free access machine shop has a couple of blast cabinets available so it won't cost me anything. Note for those in NE Ohio, look up Sears ThinkBox at Case if you need to use machine shop tools, welders, etc. The only cost is materials and parking. Jeff
  16. I had to change both the dash and fuse box harnesses but the problem ended up being due to a bad connection.
  17. It worked out fine except for an extra wire. But then again, my original wiring had undergone so many modifications, I might of been missing that wire due to PO's re-wiring to install a radio or anti-thief system.
  18. I have a 260z that has undergone may upgrades, downgrades and lateral grades. The carbs right now are 4-bolt round tops. Somewhere along the modifications, the return flow fuel line was disconnected and plugged. I'm getting vapor lock issues on hot days when I'm driving hard so I'd like to reconnect this line but I'm not sure where it goes. It is likely in Section EF (Fuel System) of the FSM; however, the only copy on line is a bit too fuzzy to read or to follow the diagrams. Could someone please pm me a copy of this section in a better resolution? Thanks Jeff
  19. I think you might want to get a tie-rod fork (a.k.a. pickle fork) from Autozone, Advance Auto, or whoever to separate it. They loan out these tools and you need just to return them within 30 days for a full refund of the deposit. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbuilt-Tie-Rod-Ball-Joint-Separator-648468/204505272?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D25T-HandTools|&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_5_QBRC9ARIsADVww153tZZuaYVzwUjeTD87h7OVzBB9gakynvGAtcEwbrHDdULQWLN0hYsaAlwgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIGI0PLzudcCFQK7Twodco0HGg
  20. Does anyone have a fast idle setting screw tab off of a 240z or 260z. I'm talking about that triangular piece that is attached by two screws and uses a third screw to push against the throttle linkage to increase the RPM for tuning the carb's? I've got a 260z with round tops so the setup is likely the same as a 240z.
  21. I'll give that a try after I wash off the underside. Thanks
  22. I've got an oil leak in my 260z (L28 engine). Not having a lift, I asked a mechanic at NTB to see if they could find the source using their lift. I suspected either a rear seal (I replaced it a few months ago) or the oil pan gasket. Instead I was told that the upper oil pan was leaking. What is an UPPER oil pan? From what little I could find on the net I know I need to remove a cross member to replace it and it uses RTV to form a gasket, but that's about it.
  23. FYI, I used dry ice to shrink mine so it would fit
  24. Concerning the dash padding, it sounds like this device would work for anyone in the Cleveland, Ohio area but creating the model would be difficult. They also have a scanner with a 2-meter capacity, but I understand that 3-D scanning is not especially easy. http://thinkbox.case.edu/equipment/shopbot#centerCol Between the Cleveland Public Library's Makerspace and Case Western Reserve's Sears Think Box, there are a lot of resources here to create objects for roughly the cost of the material. Are their any detailed pictures of the 280z headlight connectors out there? From the few blurry photographs I've seen it looks like female bullet connectors embedded in a socket. That can't be that hard to make. The water-proof outer shell can be created using a flexible filament (e.g. NijaFlex).
  25. I guess my question is what would you do with the design files (or whatever they are called) and the items generated by the prototype machines? If you create files that can be used to control a simple 3-d printer for example, would you offer to "print" the item for the Z community for the cost of material, for a fee that included the material and a profit (assuming the college permits commercial use of their equipment), or to sell or give the control files away to the Z community for their use on their personal 3d printers? I'm not saying that this is not a good idea, there's a video out of Jay Leno using a 3-d scanner and printer to create parts for his stable of cars and there are currently very few 3d printer files out there for Z parts. I'm just wondering what is the best way of using these resources. Jeff

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.