1977 280z unserviceable U-Joints - Page 2 - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

1977 280z unserviceable U-Joints

Featured Replies

Zed Head's method works like a champ. I'm sure asuly already has this done but I'll pop in my 2 cents. Torque spec on those driveline fasteners is very low, in my opinion so they come off pretty easy first time. I soaked for a day with PB Blaster. Screwdriver in between the Rear U-Joint, trans in neutral and box end wrench on it the fastener (10MM?). Don't forget to mark the driveline mount with the companion flange so the weights line back up in the right spot or you may have to pull it apart and rotate it 180 degrees if it's out of balance. Also, it says in the FSM that the Exhaust needs to be unbolted and swing away... I was able to get mine out by sliding it all the way to the bottom of the slip yoke, angle it towards the rear passenger and over the sway bar. It's a tight fit but after snapping off a exhaust bolt I figured it's easier this way.

Then to echo what sblake01 said, SAFE!! Last thing you want is being under one of these rust buckets torquing on a nut and it drops. asuly, keep us updated. I wish I was your age when I had my first opportunity to pull a motor. Count your blessings, some of us never have pulled a motor, myself included.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.