Flywheel Advice - Page 2 - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Flywheel Advice

Featured Replies

Put ice in a garbage bag and lay it on the flywheel for an hour.

I use dry ice instead.

  • Author

Thanks everyone for your advice... I had it machined today and found the ring gear to a 280 at Autozone for $25. It will be in tomorrow and I will be able to compare them. If that one doesn't work, I will get one from rock auto. Thanks everyone for your advice. I will let you know how it goes.

  • Author

Picked up the ring gear (for a 78 280) and it looks to be identical. I will be putting it on in the next couple days. I will be replacing the clutch also... any advice? Brand etc. On a budget and primarily for street use...

  • Author

Update;

I replaced the ring gear using an Oxy/Acetylene torch at my buddy's shop and saved myself $45. Here are some YouTube videos I that helped a bunch.. I would suggest you heat it up on blocks like in on the first video. Also, a mechanic told me that you can use a propane torch which I unsuccessfully attempted. It didn't help that the torch wouldn't stay lit. Still, I would suggest you use a Oxy/Acetylene torch. It was much faster and easier. We heated it up and it dropped right on. Just make sure it seats all the way down. Hope that helps anyone planning on doing the same.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=related&v=yYvGXTDjY4w

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=related&v=_XW1-5mPSsY

Good luck and thanks to everyone for your advice.

Chris

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.