Egr Seal - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Egr Seal

Featured Replies

I have a 78 280Z... one of the bolts that holds the EGR valve on broke. So there is only one working bolt left. I assume I can replace the bolt, however in the mean time I need to drive the car as it is my main automobile. So, anyway when I bolt the EGR on with only one bolt it actually seals pretty good just a minor very minor leak out the side that's missing; a bolt. (I tested it with soapy water with the engine running.) My question is can I use a copper sealant such as Permatex Ultra Copper to seal this up and help clear up any EGR leaks???

Will this hold if I do this??? I know that copper sealants are ok for Exhaust manifold gaskets and such so I'm just wondering if it will hold up over a period of time to use the Copper sealant to seal up this minor leak that is left. Obviously I mean sealing that gasket too. I would use it on the inside and NOT just apply it to the outside.. This much I do know...

If anyone has any experience with this problem or sealing it up. Any help would be great...

Thanks in advance,

Jeff..

It might work, it might not. It might hold. it might not. Just depends on MANY factors. The way I look at stuff like that is:

-How much does it cost to fix it right?

-Will it take longer to fix it once right or many times to patch it up?

-Will it cost me more in the long run? (both in time and money)

AND THE BIG QUESTION

-Will it F%$# something else up that costs a lot more money?? (like the entire engine)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.